BASW Financial Aid Resources

Cal Poly Humboldt's Office of Financial Aid can provide information on general financial aid opportunities and processes. Please view the Humboldt Student Financial Services site for general information regarding tuition and fees.


Scholarship opportunities are a great way to fund your education at Cal Poly Humboldt and are available to a range of students from all backgrounds.You are able to apply for Humboldt scholarships using the online scholarship system found in your myHumboldt portal. We strongly recommend all students complete an application, as you may be elgible for scholarships you are not aware of; you must complete and save the general application under the Scholarships section in order to view more detailed information regarding potential scholarships.

Humboldt Financial Aid also maintains a directory of other local scholarships HERE.

The Department of Social Work is able to offer financial support support to eligible students during their internship placements. Eligible students are notified at the beginning of the Fall semester.

The Department of Social Work and Cal Poly Humboldt award one $500-$1,000 scholarship to one junior or senior in the BA Social Work program or to one graduate student in the MSW program. The John and Gail Gai Faculty Tribute Scholarship is distributed in two equal installments, once in the Fall and once in the Spring. For more information contact the Department of Social Work office. This scholarship is administered through the Humboldt Scholarship system administered via your myHumboldt portal

The Deborah Cline Memorial Scholarship (one scholarship of $1,500) is for a student who is completing a field placement in a medical social work setting. More information about this scholarship is available through the Humboldt Scholarship system administered via your myHumboldt portal.

The National Association of Social Workers California Chapter offers 20 $1,000 scholarships for Native American undergraduate and graduate students who are residents of California.

Stipend Projects

For students who are currently employed in tribal or county social services or plan to work in Child Welfare after graduation there are several stipends that may be available to you.  Under these projects, students receive financial support during their course of studies which must be paid back via post-graduation employment in the field. Learn more about CalSWEC Projects.



The California Social Work Education Center has put together a helpful student handbook here.

Loan Cancellation:

State, Tribal, and Federal governments offer loan cancellation progams and other forms of financial assistance that are worth pursuing.

For example, the State of California adminsters a Health Professions Education Foundation Allied Healthcare Scholarship (AHS) that offers up to $4,000 per academic year in exchange for a one-year service obligation or 100 hours of volunteer service practicing direct care in a medically underserved area (MUA) of California.

There is also the Healthcare Workforce Development Division's California State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) which repays a portion of educational loans.