MSW Prerequisite

The MSW program requires candidates to have completed a Bachelor's degree from an accredited regional institution of higher education with a GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale (BASW degree and 3.5 GPA for Advanced Standing program). Applicants must also demonstrate having met the requirements for a Bachelor's degree or a comparable course of study as an undergraduate.

In addition to a Bachelor’s degree, applicants must also complete the following prerequisite coursework to be eligible for admission: Native American Studies. The preferred method is to have this course completed before the time of application. Coursework may be in progress at the time of application, but must be completed by the applicant’s program start date. Proof of enrollment is required for in-progress courses.


Native American Studies

Coursework must demonstrate a general introduction to the history and culture of Native peoples of North America and the unique and sovereign relationship between tribal nations and local, state and federal governments. The course has to be under NAS or similar department. It has to include three main themes: Indigenous Nations self-determination, Sovereignty, and Federal Indian Law.


Eligible courses at Humboldt include: NAS 104, NAS 107, NAS 200, NAS 306, NAS 361, SW 420*. 


Here is a list of previously accepted NAS courses.


Other equivalent transfer courses may meet this requirement, please email to see if the course you have taken or want to take qualifiesWe also reccomend the California Virtual Campus to look for classes.


* SW 420 – Decolonizing Social Work with Indigenous Peoples: The Department of Social Work offers a 1.5 unit online course through the College of Extended Education & Global Engagement the last 8 weeks of Fall & Spring semester that meets the Native American Studies prerequisite for the MSW program. Students can call the office at (707) 826-3731 or GO ONLINE TO REGISTER.  Fees (currently $330) are due at the time of registration.

IMPORTANT: Courses not listed on this page from other four year campuses and community colleges need to be approved by the MSW director before they can be considered as a substitute course. We require information such as College name, class name and number, and a course description from the catalogue or syllabus. 

Questions?  Please contact us at or (707) 826-4443.