MSW Financial Aid Resources

Cal Poly Humboldt's Office of Financial Aid can provide information on general financial aid opportunities and processes including:

The Department of Social Work and Cal Poly Humboldt award one $500-$1,000 scholarship to one junior or senior in the BA Social Work program or to one graduate student in the MSW program. The John and Gail Gai Faculty Tribute Scholarship is distributed in two equal installments, once in the Fall and once in the Spring. The Deborah Cline Memorial Scholarship (one scholarship of $1,500) is for a student who is completing a field placement in a medical social work setting. For more information see the scholarship link above.

The Department also offers several $3,000 scholarships for the Distributed Learning MSW Program. More information is available by contacting the Department of Social Work office at 707-826-4448.

The National Association of Social Workers offers two MSW-level scholarships for students who are members of NASW. The Consuelo W. Gosnell Memorial MSW Scholarships are awarded to master’s degree candidates in social work interested in working with American Indian/Alaska Native and Hispanic/Latino populations or in public and voluntary nonprofit agency settings. Up to 10 scholarships of up to $4,000 each are awarded. The Verne LaMarr Lyons Memorial MSW Scholarships are awarded to master’s degree candidates in social work who demonstrate an interest in or have experience with health/mental health practice and have a commitment to working in the African American community. Up to 2 scholarships of up to $2,000 each will be awarded.


Loan Cancellation:

State, Tribal, and Federal governments offer loan cancellation programs and other forms of financial assistance that are worth pursuing. For example, the State of California administers a Health Professions Education Foundation Allied Healthcare Scholarship (AHS) that offers up to $4,000 per academic year in exchange for a one-year service obligation or 100 hours of volunteer service practicing direct care in a medically underserved area (MUA) of California. There is also the Healthcare Workforce Development Division's California State Loan Repayment Program (SLRP) which repays a portion of educational loans.